(From the time the construction was finished in 1889, it w...)
From the time the construction was finished in 1889, it was called "the Castle" because of its medieval appearance. All of the colorful granite from which the house is built was quarried in Scotland and transported to this country as ballast in a ship.
He studied at Cornell University.
Following graduation he returned to his father's office for supplementary training Later he practiced in Grand Rapids under the firm name of W. G. & F. S. Robinson until the elder architect's demise, after which he organized the firm of Robinson & Campain and for a period of three decades carried on work in that association, specializing in commercial buildings.