George Davison received a good education, and became a civil servant in Somerset House in London in 1874.
George Davison began to make photographs in 1885, when he joined also in Camera Club photography society. He exhibited already his photographs on an exhibition of Royal Photographic Society next year, where he became a member.
George Davison started to use a pinhole camera for creation of pictorialistic photographs as one of the first photographers. He made a picture called The Onion Field (originally named An Old Farmstead) in 1890, without sharp outlines on a rough paper, having an effect of painting. Nevertheless, Davisons' photographs became an object of polemics and controversy in the Royal Photographic Society. He decided to leave the society and to establish a new organisation, the Linked Ring Brotherhood, together with other followers in 1892.
George Davison left the place of civil servant in 1897, and became an assistant manager in Eastman Photographic Materials Company. His first task was to organize a big competition and exhibition of amateur photography in London.The exhibition was successful – it was visited by more than 25,000 visitors during 3 weeks. He became a deputy director of Kodak in 1898, and the director two years later. George Davison took photographs and held exhibitions till 1911, even though he was busy working for the company.
George Davison was interested in social reforms which linked him in contacts with anarchists. Therefore Eastman called him to resign on the director position in 1908.
George Davison moved to Harlech, north Wales, and later, for health reasons, to Antibes, southern France, where he died in 1930.