George Gray Leiper Edit Profile
He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia in 1803.
He moved to “Lapidea,” Delaware County, Pennsylvania, in 1810 and engaged in logging. He also operated bark mills and stone quarries. He served as first lieutenant of the Delaware County Fencibles in 1814 and was called into active service near Brandywine Creek.
Leiper was elected as a Jacksonian to the Twenty-first Congress. He was the chairman of the United States House Committee on Expenditures in the Department of the Treasury during the Twenty-first Congress. He was not a candidate for renomination in 1830.
He resumed the management of his quarry properties, and was appointed associate judge of the courts of Delaware County on February 25, 1843. He was reappointed on February 16, 1848, and served until December 1, 1851, when the office became elective. He died at his home, “Lapidea,” on Crum Creek in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, in 1868.
He was a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives in 1822 and 1823.