Lapow studied at Fawcett Art School in Newark, New Jersey, the United States, and took courses at Columbia College and Brooklyn College in New York, the United States.
From 1941 to 1962 Harry operated Harry Lapow Associates. In 1962 Harry was a corporate design director for Sterling Drug Co. in Montvale, New Jersey, the United States. He held this position until 1969. In two years he was a manager of creative packaging for Jos. E. Seagram & Co. in New York City, New York, the United States. He worked there for a year.
His photographs are in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Museum of the City of New York, the Brooklyn Museum, the Smithsonian Institution, and the Houston Museum of Fine Arts.