Bachelor in Journalism, St. Mary of the Woods College, 1949. Master of Arts in Journalism, Indiana University, 1961. Doctor of Philosophy in Comparative Literature, 1966.
Doctor of Laws (honorary), 1975. Doctor of Laws, Indiana State University, 1972. Doctor of Laws, St. Mary's College-Notre Dame, Indiana, 1981.
Doctor of Letters (honorary), Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, 1971. Doctor of Divinity (honorary), Indiana Central University, 1978.
Joined Sisters of Providence, Roman Catholic Church, 1949. Teacher catholic schools Chicago, 1952—1954, Washington, 1952—1954. Chairman department journalism St. Mary of the Woods College, Indiana, 1954—1963.
Visiting professor Providence College, Taichung, Taiwan, 1966—1967. Assistant to president, associate professor Asian Studies St. Mary of the Woods College, 1967—1968. President, 1968—1984.
Chancellor, director endowment program, since 1984. President Indiana Conference on Higher Education, 1973—1974, Alliance for Growth and Progress, Economic Development Group, Terre Haute, Indiana, since 1983. Board directors Federal Home Loan Bank of Indiana, 1973, Union Hospital of Terre Haute, 1973, Commission on Women in Higher Education, 1976—1979, American Council on Education, 1979—1980, Aquinas College, 1978—1980, Indiana Academy in the Public Service, 1980—1982, Council of Indiana Colleges, 1980—1983, Fund for the Improvement of Post Secondary Education, since 1982.
Secretary, treasurer Indiana Colleges and University of Indiana, 1979—1980.
Member of Association Colleges Indiana, National Institutes of Health, Mental Health Association Vigo County, International Association University President, Terre Haute Medical Education Foundation, National Catholic Education Association, Association American Colleges, Association Catholic Colleges and University.