John Scott was an English clergyman, known as a devotional writer, and a defender of Anglican orthodoxy in his preaching.
He was son of Thomas Scott, a grazier of Chippenham, Wiltshire, and served as a youth a three years" apprenticeship in London.
Then, changing his course of life, he matriculated at New Inn Hall, Oxford, 13 December 1658. He took no degree at the time, but later in life proceeded Bachelor of Divinity and Doctor of Divinity (9 July 1685). He became successively minister of Street Thomas, Southwark, perpetual curate of Trinity in the Minories, rector of Street Peter-le-Poor, 1 February 1678 (resigned before August 1691), and rector of Street Giles-in-the-Fields, being presented to the last benefice by the king, 7 August 1691.
He was buried in the rector"s vault in Saint Giles"s Church in 1695.
He held a canonry of Street Paul"s Cathedral from 1685 till his death.