University of Edinburgh.
He conducted postgraduate studies in London and Paris, making drawings of gunshot and sabre wounds. Smith started teaching the first regular courses on dental physiology and diseases in Scotland, in 1856. He was surgeon dentist to the Royal Public Dispensary.
He co-founded the Hospital for Sick Children in 1859.
Recognising the need for improved training, he founded, together with Francis Imlach and others, the Edinburgh Dental Dispensary in 1860. Smith wrote the Handbook of Dental Anatomy and Surgery (1864).
In 1871 Smith was appointed Surgeon Dentist to Queen Victoria, and elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, upon the nomination of John Hutton Balfour. The Dispensary grew into the Edinburgh Dental Hospital and School by 1879.
He was awarded a doctorate by Edinburgh University in 1884.
Smith was also a moderately successful playwright. He died on 15 April 1910. He is buried on the edge of the path which runs over the central vaults in Warriston Cemetery.