He was educated at Eton College, and sent at an early age to Street John"s College, Cambridge. He graduated Bachelor of Arts in 1780, and proceeded Master of Arts
In 1783. Taking holy orders, he was collated by Bishop Thomas Thurlow to the prebend of Welton-Brinkhall in Lincoln Cathedral, 17 March 1785. In 1787 he became rector of Street Olave, Old Jewry with Street Martin, Ironmonger Lane. He was appointed archdeacon of Street Albans on 8 January 1789.
In 1797 he exchanged his London rectory for the living of Little Burstead, Essex, which he left for the vicarage of Northolt, Middlesex, on 24 February 1806.
He next became vicar of Street Martin-in-the-Fields, London, 12 December 1812, and exchanged the archdeaconry of Street Albans for that of London, 31 December 1813. In 1822 (4 October) he received a canonry in Street Paul"s Cathedral, and on 13 July 1824 exchanged the vicarage of Saint Martin"s for that of Kensington.
Finally he became canon and chancellor of Exeter Cathedral, 2 May 1826. Resigning his archdeaconry and his vicarage in 1842, he held both canonries until his death, which took place on 16 February 1847, at his residence in Woburn Place, Bloomsbury, London.