Pao-chien Tang started his business career as a rice merchant and established a big rice company in Wusih in 1895. Later, he took an interest in silk cocoon, cotton and silk trade and organised several companies for the transaction of these businesses.
In 1910, Mr. Tang became also interested in flour business and opened the Kiu Foong flour mill at Wusih. In 1916, he established the Kiu Foong Flour Mill No. 2 and has since remained managing director of both mills. In the meantime, he opened a silk filature by the name of Kin Foong in 1904 and another by the name of Tuck Shing in 1905.
He is the sole proprietor of both filatures, which manufactured the "Star and Lily" brand of China steam filature raw silk. In 1915, Pao-chien Tang started an oil mill called Jun Foong oil mill at Wusih. In 1928, he started the first brick and kiln works in Wusih under the name of Lee Noong. In 1919, he established the Ching Foong Cotton Weaving and Spinning Mill and has since been its managing director. He was also the owner of the several rice polishing plants and a big granary at Wusih.