He was educated at Westminster, and in 1613 was elected to Trinity College, Cambridge.
He proceeded Master of Arts In 1628 he was incorporated Master of Arts at Oxford. On 18 March 1631 he was installed prebendary in the cathedral of Lincoln, and on 17 December of the following year he was made canon residentiary of Wells, holding also a living in Somerset, and the treasurership of Wells Cathedral, to which he was appointed by Archbishop George Abbot during the vacancy of the see. In 1637 he held the deanery of Saint Burians in Cornwall, and in 1642 was vicar of Greenwich.
At the outbreak of the First English Civil War he retired to Oxford, where he was made Doctor of Divinity and acted as the king"s chaplain, later holding the same office under Charles World War II On the fall of Oxford he escaped into Cornwall in disguise and embarked for the continent.
During his exile the king appointed him Dean of Wells. On entering on this office at the Restoration he found the deanery in the hands of Cornelius Burges, who refused to surrender lieutenant
Creighton brought a legal action of ejectment to obtain possession of lieutenant He helped restore the cathedral from the dilapidated state into which it had fallen, partly by mischief done in 1642 and partly by neglect.
On 22 June 1663 Creighton took the oaths for his naturalization in England.
On 25 May 1670 he was elected bishop of Bath and Wells and consecrated 19 June following. He died on 21 November 1672, and was buried in Saint John"s Chapel in his cathedral. His marble tomb and effigy had been prepared by himself at great expense.
By her he had a son Robert Creighton, who was also a court preacher (less effective than his father according to Evelyn).
He was a member of the court of Charles II in his exile, and John Evelyn (who attests to his learning) heard him preach at Saint Germain on 12 August 1649, and subsequently at the Restoration at the Chapel Royal, Saint Paul"s Cathedral and an "extravagant" sermon given before the House of Commons on 27 April 1663 at Saint Margaret"s, Westminster.