He came to Canada as part of a contract with a fur trading company operating west of the Great Lakes. Around 1784, he settled at Queenston. In 1788, he was named to the land board of the Nassau District and a judge of the Court of Common Pleas.
He opened a general store at Queenston and also acquired extensive land holding on the Niagara peninsula with his profits.
He died at Queenston in 1809.
In 1792, he became a member of the Legislative Council for the province.