Wilson was commissioned into the Cheshire Regiment in 1901. He transferred to the 117th Mahrattas in 1904. In 1926 he became Commander of the Wana Brigade, part of Northern Command, in India.
Then in 1931 he was made Commandant of the Staff College at Quetta and in 1934 he became General Officer Commanding Rawalpindi District.
He was appointed Military Secretary to the India Office in 1936 and Adjutant-General, India in 1937. He was promoted to full General and became an Aide-de-Camp General to the King in 1940.
He retired in 1941. He was also Colonel of the 5th Royal Battalion of the Mahratta Light Infantry.