He enrolled at the IIT Institute of Design in Chicago following the end of World War II and studied under cubist sculptor Alexander Archipenko. Archipenko took Gussow to Woodstock, New York, in 1946, where he attended summer school.
Examples of his work can be founded outside the National Museum of American History in Washington D.C., City Hall in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, the New York City Family Court building in Manhattan, and the Tulsa Convention Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He was one of three siblings. Gussow was Jewish. He enrolled at Farmingdale State College originally intending to pursue a career as a farmer, but switched majors and earned a bachelor's degree in landscape architecture in 1938.
Sculptor He joined the United States Army during World War II. Gussow met painter George Kachergis while serving in France. Kachergis encouraged Gussow to enter the fields of art and design. Gussow taught sculpture and art at Bradley University in Illinois, the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center and the North Carolina State University School of Design, now known as the College of Design, in Raleigh, North Carolina.
He returned to New York City, settling in Manhattan in 1962. In 1964, Gussow moved to Long Island City, becoming one of the first artists to take up residence in what was then an industrial section of the Queens neighborhood. Gussow created both his home and sculpture studio inside a former silver plating factory.
He resided and worked in Long Island City for the rest of his life.
Served with Army of the United States, 1942-1945, European Theatre of Operations. Member Sculptors Guild (president 1976-1980, director 1967-1984), New York Artists Equity Association (director 1977-1984, vice president 1980-1984, president 1985-1987), New York Fine Arts Federation (director 1987-1992, vice president 1992-1993, president 1993-1997, honorary vice president 1997-2011).
Married Mary Maynard, October 10, 1946 (deceased 2004). Children: Olga, Mimi, Jill.