He graduated from the Engineering Department, Tokyo University (1896). Studied in Germany, France and the United States.
Became an engineer of the Kyushu Railway Company. He was then appointed professor at the Third and Fifth Higher Schools, assistant professor and professor at his alma mater.
First architect to study ferroconcrete buildings, he was an authority on applied dynamics. Was responsible for the designs of the 660-foot tower of the radio station at Haramachi in Fukushima Prefecture and the Sacred Bridge of the Meiji Shrine.