Chi Ta-peng graduated from the political science department of the Chung Kuo University, Peking (Beijing) (of which Dr. C. T. Wang was the president). While a student, he was very active in the student movement.
Mr. Chi entered in government service in 1922 and successively served as secretary to the Directorate-General for the Rehabilitation of Shantung. He served as a special deputy to take over the educational administration of Tsingtao. Then Chi Ta-peng became a counsellor to the Cabinet.
He was a representative at Mukden of the Directorate-General of Sino-Russian Diplomatic Affairs. Chi Ta-peng worked as a sectional chief in the Ministry of Finance and also in the Salt Administration. He was a counsellor to the Directorate General of the Sino-Russian Conference and, and later, director of the Suiyuan Conservancy Bureau.
Chi Ta-Peng was a sectional chief in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Nationalist Government at Nanking and concurrently deputy chief of the department of general affairs of the same Ministry. Mr. Chi occupied the post of a chief of the Bureau for the Custody of Files and Archives of the former Ministry of Foreign Affairs at Peking (Beijing), which position he held for many years. He also was active in public and social affairs in Peking (Beijing).