He was educated in private schools in Philadelphia and graduated at the Episcopal Academy in 1895. Mr. Thomas then entered the University of Pennsylvania as a student in Architecture and graduated in 1899. He continued his training at the Paris Ecole des Beaux-Arts from 1901-1904.
Mr. Thomas was associated with the following architectural firms during his career:
1904-1908 Churchman & Thomas
1908-1914 Thomas, Churchman & Molitor
1914 Thomas & Churchman
1915-1920 Walter H. Thomas, Architect
1920-1930 Thomas, Martin & Kirkpatrick
1930-1940 Thomas & Martin
1944-1948 Thomas & Wagoner
1944-1948 Thomas & Antrim
He also held the following positions:
1924-1933 Consultant and chief designer, Bureau of Architecture of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Philadelphia
1928-1930 President, Philadelphia Chapter American Institute of Architects
1930-1931 Philadelphia City Architect
1931-1937 Director and Secretary, Philadelphia City Planning Commission
1937-1942 Technical Director, Philadelphia Housing Authority
1941-1944 Adjunct Instructor in City Planning, University of Pennsylvania
c. 1940-1948 Member, President of the Church Architectural Guild of America
During his career, he established a reputation as a specialist in the field of ecclesiastical design. Mr. Thomas was commissioned to design numerous churches in cities from the east coast to California. In addition to his practice, Mr. Thomas participated in the civic affairs noted above.
As a member of the Philadelphia Chapter from 1907 until his death, Mr. Thomas served a term as Vice-president and two years (1928-30) as President. In the latter year, he was elected to Institute Fellowship.