He was a graduate of the State University he entered the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1897, and graduated B S in Architecture four years later.
After working for a time in New York offices and a subsequent period (1908-12) spent in Seattle, Wash., Mr. Sayward moved to Atlanta and during 1912 began practice under the firm name of Edwards & Sayward. Through the following years and until the demise of Mr. Edwards in 1939 the partners carried on a wide and diversified practice over buildings at the University of Florida, 1913-25; State College for Women, Tallahassee, 1912-25; Florida A. & M. College, 1912-25; Florida School for the Deaf and Blind, St. Augustine, 1913-23; Winthrop College, Rock Hill, S. C., 1915-31 S. Carolina Institute for the Blind and Deaf, Cedar Springs; Georgia State Woman's College at Valdosta.
Among other noted examples of the firm’s work was the Hernando County Court House at Brookvale, Fla., 1913; York County Court House, Yorkvilk; Unitarian Church, Atlanta, Ga., 1913; Methodist Church. Clarksville ienn.; Fanning County Court House, Blue Ridge, Ga., 1936; U S Post Office and Court House, Columbus, Ga., 1932.
Later in 1936 Edwards & Sawyer were appointed architects of the Atlanta University Housing Project, one of the first housing developments sponsored by the Federal Government.
Following the death of his partner in 1939, Mr. Sayward carried on work in association with Robert B. Logan (Sayward & Logan), maintaining an office in the Palmer Building in Atlanta until his own decease at the age of seventy.