Yu-chin Chou received his early education at home in Chinese classics, Chinese history, and other subjects. In 1901, when he was twenty, he passed the literary examinations for the degree of Hsiu-ts'ai. Later in 1902 he passed the examinations for salaried licentiate.
After that, he began his study of the English language and other Western subjects. Made friends with the Americans in his native city, from whom he learned much in the science and arts as taught in American schools and colleges.
Mr. Chou studied at the Virginia School in Huchow, China (founded by the Southern Methodist Church,) from 1904 till 1916.
When the School of English of the Commercial 'Press Correspondence Schools was established in 1916, Yu-chin Chou joined The Commercial Press as a member of the English editorial department. Then he was appointed editor-in-chief of the English Weekly, a magazine published by Commercial Press since 1918. And a few months later he was appointed concurrently business manager of the Correspondence Schools. During this time he was responsible for the establishment of the School of Mathematics of the Company.
In 1925 he succeeded his brother as dean of Shanghai University. Then he was a professor of English at the College of Arts and Science in Shanghai, China in 1926, professor of English at the China Institute at Woosung in 1931, served on the executive committee of the Huchow Association from 1924 to 1933, and in 1927 was chosen by the Association principal of the Huchow Academy at Shanghai, but resigned in 1932.
On the reopening of the Commercial Press Correspondence Schools and the republishing of the English Weekly in the fall of 1932, after a suspension of half a year as a result of the Japanese invasion of Chapei, Shanghai, he was again appointed business manager and registrar of the schools and editor-inchief of the periodical.
(Specimens of short essays;: Advanced course [T. T. Eugene...)