Bachelor of Arts in Classics, Stanford University, 1930; Master of Arts in Latin, University of California at Berkeley, 1932; Doctor of Philosophy in Latin and Classical Archaeology, University of California at Berkeley, 1937.
Instructor in Latin, University of Chicago, 1937-1939;
successively assistant, research associate, instructor classics, University of California at Berkeley, 1939-1942;
with, United States Office of Censorship, San Francisco, 1942-1945;
member of faculty, University of California at Berkeley, 1946-1978;
member of faculty, University of California at Berkeley, since 1978. Department chairman art, 1966-1971. Assistant dean College Letters and Sciences, 1964-1965, curator classical art university art museum, since 1965.
Curator ancient Mediterranean art R.H. Lowie Museum Anthropology, since 1958, humanities research professor, 1969. Visiting professor fine arts Indiana U., 1979.
Associate editor California Studies in Classical Antiquity, vols. 1-5, 1968-1972. Author: An Amphora with a Price Inscription, 1941, Corinthian Vases at San Simeon, 1943, (with W.K. Pritchett) The Attic Stelai, 1958, (with others) Cypriote Antiquities in San Francisco Bay Area Collections, 1974, Echoes from Olympus, 1974, (with Patricis Lawrence) Corinth VII: 2, Archaic Corinthian Pottery and the Anaploga Well, 1975, Corinthian Vase—Painting of the Archaic Period, 3 vols.
Member Archaeol. Institute American, American Philological Association, Phi Beta Kappa. Correspondent member Deutsches Archäologisches Institut, Istituto di Studi Etruschi ed Italici.
Son of Buford Elmore and Maude (Kirkman) A. M. Eleanor Wilkinson, July 6, 1936. 1 daughter, Ellen Anne.