He studied at the school in the village of Kozlovka (1928-1931). He graduated from the Workers' Faculty at the Voronezh State University (1938), the history department of the Kuybyshev State Pedagogical Institute (1945).
After graduation he was a teacher of history of the Kuibyshev party school. Associate professor of the department of history of the USSR of the Kuibyshev State Pedagogical Institute, Yaroslavl State University, Penza State Pedagogical Institute (1950-1973). Professor of the department of history of the USSR of Kuibyshev State University (1973-1976), head of the department of history of the USSR of the Moscow Historical and Archival Institute (since 1976). Author of many books.