The Smithsonian Institution honors Ichimatsu Tanaka by awarding the Fourth Charles Lang Freer medal in a ceremony in Washington, D.C. on May 2, 1973.
(There is a representative collection of Sotatu's greatest...)
There is a representative collection of Sotatu's greatest painting, well selected by Professor Ichimatsu Tanaka, Director of the Tokyo National Committee for the Study of Cultural Properties and lecturer at Tokyo and Waseda Universities.
(Based on a comprehensive work produced by Japan's art sch...)
Based on a comprehensive work produced by Japan's art scholars, this volume is a chronological and historical overview of Japanese painting, sculpture, textiles, ceramics, woodblock prints, lacquer ware and metalwork.
Tanaka attended Shōnai Middle School and Tsuruoka High School #1, both in Tsuruoka City, Yamagata Prefecture, before entering Tokyo Imperial University (presently, University of Tokyo) in 1918. He received an undergraduate degree from the Department of Aesthetics and Art History at the same institution in 1923.
From 1924-1926 Tanaka served on the staff of the Tokyo Imperial Household Museum (presently, Tokyo National Museum). From 1952-1953, he served as Chairman of the Department of Fine Arts at the Tokyo National Research Institute for Cultural Properties, and from 1953–1965, as 9th Director General of the same institute. After resigning as Director General, from 1965-1977 he was Editor in Chief of the prominent art historical journal Kokka. From 1977 until his death in 1983, he served as Editorial Advisor for the same journal.
Tanaka was also an assiduous public servant and active researcher. In 1926, he served on the Committee for the Preservation of Ancient Temples and Shrines. In 1935, he participated in an investigate inquiry into the preservation of National Treasures. In 1936, he served as an ad-hoc member of the Investigative Committee on Important Art Objects. In 1945, he participated in an inquiry into the preservation of National Treasures for the Social Education Bureau of the Ministry of Education. In 1947, the Ministry of Education appointed him as a Technical Officer.
Beginning in 1950, he worked in the Applied Arts Section of the Conservation Division of the Committee for the Preservation of Cultural Properties, an external bureau of the Ministry of Education that was established this same year. From 1950 to 1966, he served as an Expert Advisor on the Council of Experts on Cultural Properties for the Ministry of Education. In 1958-1959, the Ministry of Education named him Chief Delegate of an official government delegation sent to Europe to facilitate exhibitions of ancient Japanese art in the UK, France, Italy, and the Netherlands. From 1966-1977, he served as a member of the Ministry of Education's Committee for the Preservation of Cultural Properties. From 1972-1973, he served as Vice-Chairman of the Comprehensive Scientific Research Committee on the Takamatsuzuka Tomb.
In his later years, while serving as Editor in Chief and later Editorial Advisor at Kokka, he lectured at the following academic institutions: Joshibi University of Art and Design; Nihon University; Tōhoku University; Waseda University; Kanazawa College of Art; and the University of Tokyo.
In addition to many book-length works and edited volumes, he also regularly published articles in academic journals. The majority of these articles were republished in three later publications: Nihon kaiga shi no tenbō, Nihon kaiga ronshū, and the two-volume Tanaka Ichimatsu kaiga shi ronshū.
As a prolific scholar, Tanaka's published writings exhibit extensive range within the field of Japanese art history, including Buddhist art, narrative handscrolls, Yamato-e, ink painting, Rimpa, and Nanga, in addition to Song and Yuan Dynasty Chinese painting and calligraphy.