Kao Tsi-chu received his preliminary education in Peking in 1913. He entered the Baoding Military Academy in 1918. Kao Tsi-chu joined the Whampoa Military Academy (later known as the Republic of China Military Academy) in 1924.
Mr. Kao was promoted commander of 52nd regiment of the 18th Division of the Nationalist Revolutionary Army, 1926. He lived in retirement between 1927 and 1928. In 1929 Kao Tsi-chu was appointed director of the Political Training Department attached to the Military Headquarters in Kaifeng. In 1930 he resumed his office as a chief staff officer to the Commander of the Border Defense Force of Henan and Shaanxi.
Then Kao Tsi-chu acted as a commander of the 5th Nationalist Army which was reorganised into the new 20th Division, of which he remained the commander up to 1933.
Besides being engaged in troops training and bandit suppression activities, he was tremendously interested in road building and other constructive work and in the study of social and agricultural sciences and economics.