Cheng Wen-chia studied at Huchow Police School, Zhejiang (Chekiang) and the Zhejiang (Chekiang) Government Law College in 1907. He graduated as high class police officer in 1911.
Mr. Cheng acted as a president of Kungkiachang district court, Zhejiang (Chekiang) in 1912. From 1913 he held the post of a judge of Hanerchow District Court. In 1914 Cheng Wen-chia was appointed judge of Shanghai District Court, and later judge of the High Court of Shanxi (Shansi) Province and concurrency member of the commission for discipline of lawyers.
In 1917 he resumed his office as a president of the 1st branch of the1 High Court of Shansi. Cheng Wen-chia worked as a chief judge of the 1st branch of the High Court of Shanxi (Shansi). Mr. Cheng worked as a judge of the High Court of Zhejiang (Chekiang) and concurrently professor In the Public Law School simce 1922.
From 1927 Cheng Wen-chia took up the post of a judge of Shanghai Provisional Court and concurrently professor at the Comparative Law School. Mr. Cheng worked as a professor of Chih Tze University in 1929. He resigned from the post in the court in 1930 and was engaged in private law practice in Shanghai, and was held the professorship at both the Comparative Law School and the Chih Tze University.