In 1945 Lev Alexandrovich Buldakov entered the Medical Faculty of the Medical Intitute.
After graduation Lev Alexandrovich was sent as a surgeon to the Medical Unit №15, situated in Sungul village of Kaslinsky district in Chelyabinsk region.
When in 1952 "B" Laboratory searched for a specialist with surgical skills to conduct experimental research, this post was offered to Lev Alexandrovich. In 1954 he was reassigned from the Ministry of Emergency Situations (MES) to the "B" Laboratory as a research worker according to the joint decision of the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Atomic Energy (Minatom) of the USSR. He defended his Doctor of Science, thesis at the Academic Council of the Institute of Biophysics of the Ministry of Health in 1956.
Buldakov`s further activity was connected with studying biological effects of ionizing radiation under both external total exposure and incorporation of different radionuclides flowing into the biosphere as a consequence of industrial activity, nuclear testing in the atmosphere and industrial emergencies.